Skip to main content

Concealed Carry Holsters.

 CCW holsters. What I recommend and what I don’t recommend. I’ve been carrying a CCW since late 2019. I’ve carried 5 different types of handguns. Full size, compacts, sub compacts and micro compacts. So let's talk about it. 



Fuck man, where to start. Buying a holster can be complicated. So many different things to think about like the following: 

  1. What kind of gun do you have?

  2. Where are you going to carry it?

  3. What kind of clothes do you wear?

  4. What kind of holster are you going to have?

  5. How long do you plan on wearing it per day?

  6. What size person are you? 

All these things matter!!! 


1st point, What kind of gun do you have? This one is pretty obvious. If you carry a big gun, you’ll need to have a big holster. How do you choose what gun to carry? Honestly find something you can comfortably shoot, then find a way to comfortably carry it. I can’t hold your hand the entire way, absorb what I say and make your decision based on that. 





2nd point. Where to carry your gun. Inside the wasteband, outside the wasteband, appendix carry, shoulder carry, fuck even ankle carry! So many options. I’ve always carried IWB “inside the waistband” I started carrying at the 5 o’clock position. When talking about position on a belt, your belly button is 12 o’clock and your butthole is 6 o’clock, fill in the blanks on the other spots. The reason I carried 5 o’clock was because it was the most comfortable and easiest to stay concealed. Once I lost a little bit of weight I started carrying appendix (the 1 o’clock position) . I find it easiest to carry at the 11,12 & 1 o’clock position.  How come I never tried shoulder or ankle carry? That will set us up for the next topic. 





3rd point. Clothing. If you like to wear really tight clothing then CCW might not work out for you. Loose and baggy clothing is your friend. My pants size is 34 but I wear a 36 due to my holster. ALSO! SUPER IMPORTANT! Wear a good fucking belt. You can have the best holster out there but if you have a shitty $4 walmart belt that holster is going to flop and sag. 




My belt of choice is Blue Alpha Gear. I also have a Magpul belt for when I need to be fancy. Both of these belts have this in common, they are stiff and rigid all the way around. The Blue Alpha belts use cobra buckles that are super strong yet really easy to take on and off. 


Ankle carry, this isn’t the 1970s, most of you are not cops with a backup gun. Shorts are out of the question. However, having a gun is better than not having a gun. Ankle carry can be an ok way to carry a gun, if you were going to do this I would recommend something reputable like the Alien gear ankle carry holster. And for fuck sakes pratice drawing that thing. 




Shoulder carry, I haven't carried this way but it seems like a decent way to carry. But you need to wear a button up shirt or jacket. This isn’t something I have experience in or have looked into. 


4th point, what kind of holster you have. WARNING WARNING WARNING!!!! I’m going show a graphic picture.




FUCK LEATHER! I have heard too many stories about leather holsters causing Accidental Discharges. If you want a leather holster, get one that has a plastic insert so the bullshit I'm about to show you doesn’t happen. 




This is a worn out leather holster that pinched the trigger and accidentally fired a round into this guy’s ass. I’ve heard of this happening with both leather and cloth holsters. I will never Recommend a cloth or leather holster for a firearm. I don’t trust them. Only exception is if they have a plastic or kydex insert. Or Maybe if you carry a DA/SA with the hammer decocked and with a manual safety on you can use leather. But I don’t recommend carrying the gun in that state either, The more bullshit you have to prevent your gun from firing the more potential you have to fumble to fire it in a high stress situation. 


5th point. How long are you going to wear a holster per day? I currently Use a G-code holster because it's quick to take on/off and keeps the gun very secure in my waistband. I got this because I used to be a roof inspector and wanted something that I could comfortably climb ladders with and not worry about the gun. Why did I need a gun on a roof? That's irrelevant to this article, moving on. That G-code holster is great but after wearing it for 8 hours or more it starts to get annoying. I have alien gear holsters that I can wear all day, But they are bigger holsters that are harder to conceal. My all time favorite holster for ccw is the Raven Concealment Vanguard holster. 


This is a very very minimalist holster, covers the trigger and has a clip on it, that's it. The gun is surprisingly secure as long as you're not doing a lot of extreme movements. I’ve worn this holster during a 12 hour retail store shift with lots of walking and small ladder climbing and felt safe about the gun. However I have also gotten caught in a rainstorm walking my dog, and while running back to my apartment I felt the gun moving more than I wanted, held my crotch the enrite run home. I will be doing a dedicated review on the Vanguard holster soon. On this day I switch between the g-code and vanguard holster depending on what I'm doing that day. 


6th and last point. How big or small are you? This is going to affect the way you carry. Believe it or not, big people have an easier time with concealed carry. Super skinny people can sometimes hide guns well too. Your average or slightly above average folks have it the hardest imo. 


By the way, Didn’t really touch on this, but if you want a light, laser or red dot sight on your CCW, everything I just mentioned above just got harder. 


So here are some final thoughts and some gear I recommend. Choosing a holster for CCW can be hard. I currently have 6 holsters for 4 guns for CCW. My main CCW choice right now is my Sig P365 XL with a small frame and Romeo Zero red dot sight. 




Let’s briefly talk about “Off body carrying” This is when you carry a CCW in a backpack, purse, jacket pocket, This is any type of carry method that is something that you can easily remove from your body. I am not a fan of off carry methods. I’ll give you an example.


Let's say I have one of those concealed carry jackets with built in pockets for a handgun. I walk into a restaurant to eat breakfast. After being inside for more than 5 minutes I start to get hot and take off my jacket and hang it on the back of my chair. Waiter comes and pours me a cup of coffee and takes my order. About 20 mins goes by and my morning coffee does what coffee does and now I need to run to the bathroom. I walk to the bathroom and proceed to take a shit. It is a quick shit though, in and out in less than 5 mins. I get back to my table and hey, my food is here. So i eat my waffles and my hash browns that I dumped an entire bottle of Cholula hot sauce on (this is the correct way to eat hash browns btw) food is great, I leave a $20 on the table and walk out the door, but the second I get outside i realize i forgot my jacket. Run back in, grab it and leave. 


So what went wrong? A few things, did you catch them all? Let's break it down. 

  1. I’m using a shitty method to carry my gun, these gimmicky jackets that do not provide proper protection over the trigger of the gun. The trigger can be pulled through the fabric. A plastic holster wont have this problem. 

  2. I took the jacket off and had it behind my back. What if some crook thought it was a nice jacket and grabbed it and ran off, double whammy for them because now they have a pistol too. 

  3. I left my jacket at the table because I had to use the bathroom. I left my jacket unattended at a table with a pistol in the pocket, this jacket/gun is free for the taking. 

  4. And to top it all off, my dumbass almost walked completely away without the jacket/gun...how embarrassing. 


Now I get it, this is a pretty irresponsible breakfast. This is doing everything wrong. But what happens if I only fucked up once? How many times have you forgotten a jacket somewhere? Sure, I could have kept my jacket on the entire time and sweat by balls off, I could have gotten a different table with my back against the wall or a booth. I could have taken my jacket into the bathroom. OR…...I could have fucking had a IWB holster and not given a fuck about my jacket. Ladies, how often do you leave your purse lying around? For everyday carry, I don’t like off-body carrying. Yes, it can be done safely but It's not my cup of tea. 


There are some cool things out there that help carry a weapon. I like to wear sweatpants or gym shorts when I walk my dog. Sometimes I use a belly band. This is from alien gear, it's a piece of neoprene that wraps and velcros around itself. Works best with alien gear cloak holsters. Pretty cool but I wouldn’t recommend it for long periods of time. 




There are some pretty cool options for women to carry a gun. Such have garter holsters & holsters that attach to a bra. I have zero experiences with these for obvious reasons. But Flashbang Holsters cater to the Female CCW market. 

https://www.instagram.com/flashbangholster/?hl=en


I hope this helped, I hoped this can steer you in a direction to make the best decision for yourself. I probably just made shit harder for you. This is only a little bit of it too by the way. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AR-15 Stuuuuuff.

This is not going to be an article. I honestly just made this so i can go back to it as a reference  and show it to others. There are hundreds of articles that   explain  all this shit.    AR gas systems.  Pistol Length  Barrels less than 9”  Gas tube length 4.5”  Carbine length  Barrels 10-18”  Gas tube length 7.5”  Mid-Length  Barrels 14-20”  Gas tube length 9.5”  Rifle length  Barrels 20”+  Gas tube length 13”  Carbine Length vs Mid Length Gas system. What is the point? AR's with barrels between 14-18 inches can use either, which is better? The short answer is Mid Length The longer gas system is going to provide less pressure going back to the bolt, less pressure is better for longevity and will reduce felt recoil. Mid length gas systems will have a slower rate of fire. measured on a 14.5 barrel using NATO M855 Carbine = 864 rpm Mid = 737 rpm. For more info this report from NAVSEA has a ton of info, even on shit that will never effect you. https://partner-mco-archive.s3.amazonaw

Are Revolvers Still Practical for Concealed Carry?

  Are Revolvers still practical for concealed carry? Short answer is no. Let me explain why.  get ready for some massive shit talking. Oh, and I got sources at the bottom for all you nay-sayers Revolvers are cool guns, they are fun to shoot and they can be used to defend your life. And if my only option was a revolver I would carry it. Any gun is better then no gun. But…….. So this is the real world, we’re not in some video game or movie where you start off with a wheel gun and are forced to use it. When you decide to carry a CCW you 99% of the time go to a store and pick out a gun. This means you have options and you are the one responsible for your decision. The only exception to this is if you got a hand me down revolver from a family member and cannot afford to buy something new. But this is not as common as you would think.  Revolvers are as practical as the 1920 Ford Model T car. The Model T has a top speed of 45 miles per hour and miles per gallon was about 16-20. The Model T is

Is The Metric System The Best For Defense?

  Best caliber for Concealed Carry.  What is the best caliber to carry for personal defense?  This is a question that has no correct answer. But there are wrong answers.  Once again, this is my opinion. And any gun is better than no gun.  The logic I am applying to this is if you have to pick 1 gun for an all around defense round. Obviously you don’t need a huge caliber if you are being charged by a coyote, or a super small caliber for a bear. Every caliber has a role, I’m helping you decide what the best all around and most practical caliber is.  I’m going to be comparing calibers that are most common for CCW pistols. If you carry a 44mag, 50 AE, 7.62x25….what the fuck is wrong with you??? Your choices are dumb.  Let's talk about Energy, joules, ft/lbs. This is arguably the most important  You can skip some calibers if you don't care. You can also skip to the bottom to see my final thoughts if you don't want the specs to all the info. We are going to be using Speer ammo fo